Department of Microbiology
Dr. Patil Ravindra Himmatrao
Head of Department
Levels in Microbiology and to dissimate knowledge of invisible world. The department was further expanded in 2003 when PG course in Microbiology was started. It is an applied biological science as the microbes have diverse applications in pharmaceuticals,food, dairy and beverages industries. The Department of Microbiology is concentratingon the microorganisms especially Bacteria and Fungi that may be of producers of novel enzymes and biologically active metabolites. Another area where research is being concentrated on the evaluation of natural plant andmicrobial products (Antibiotics).
General course information
The three year Bachelor degree course deals with basic study of microorganisms like bacteria, fungi, algae, yeast and protozoa. The course also deals with applied aspects of the subjects like basic genetics, biochemistry, physiology and recombinant DNATechnology. The course involves semester pattern and grading system as prescribed by the North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon. The complete course structure and details are available on college website.
The two-year M.Sc. course deals with the detailed study ofmicroorganisms like bacteria, molds, yeast, algae, viruses and protozoa, which coversvarious aspects of cell biology, genetics, biochemistry, physiology and recombinant DNATechnology. The course also deals with the applied aspects of microbiology, whichincludes the use of microorganisms in the production of various novel products in thevaried fields of agriculture, dairy, environment, food, Pharmaceutical, beverages andother industries. The role of microbes as causative agents of human and plant diseases,their mode of action and immunity is also included.The course involves semester pattern and grading system as prescribed by the North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon. The complete course structure and details are available on college website.
Beside these courses, the department is also running various certificate, diploma, PG diploma and advanced diploma courses in biotechnology and Bioinformatics. The list is given below:
- 1. Certificate course in Bioinformatics
- 2. Diploma course in Bioinformatics
- 3. PG diploma in Bioinformatics
- 4. PG Diploma in Microbial Biotechnology
- 5. Certificate course in Plant tissue culture.
- 6. PG Diploma in Plant tissue culture
The facilities available in the department of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Major research facilities developed in the microbiology and biotechnology department are,
- UV visible spectrophotometer double beam [Shimadzu, Japan] ,
- High Speed refrigerated centrifuge [ Remi, India ],
- Ultra lowdeepfreezer -40 0C [Remi and Steelmet, India],
- PCR machine [Long-gene , Germany ]
- Electrophoresis unit & Blotting [ Tarssons, USA and Genie, India] ,
- Orbital Rotary shaker [Steelmet, India],
- Binocular research microscope with digital camera [Motic, India]
- Stereo microscope with digital camera [Labomed, India]
- State of the art aseptic unit with inoculation and incubation facility for plant and animal tissue culture.
Training and placement:
The department of Biotechnology has training and placement cell which prepares students for industrial and corporate world and makes available job opportunities for students. We have been able to place our students in various renowned research institutes, pharmaceutical and biotech industries. Our students are doing research in National laboratories Like NCCS, NCL and NIV. Some of our students are working on various positions in companies like Cipla Pharmaceuticals, Glaxo Ltd, Reliance Life Sciences and Genova Biotech. The department has always been at the forefront in introducing courses having more job potential